Monday 14 July 2014

To Read Or Not to Read

I don't remember exactly how old I was when I was first introduced to the delightful world of reading. The first book that ever really captured my imagination and inspired me to write was Christopher Paolini's 'Eldest', the second book in the Inheritance Cycle. Back then, I wasn't very choosy about my reading materials. Whatever I can get my hands on, I read. The only books I don't touch are of the non-fiction variety. I devoured all of them indiscriminately. I did not care whether the writing was good or bad because all that mattered to me was the story itself. But as I grew older, I began to gravitate towards certain types of books. I fell in love with magic and the fantasy genre became my favorite. These days, I try to avoid young-adult fiction which focuses on romance. I want to read fantasy books which do not contain hormone-filled pages of angsty teenage love affairs. There's nothing particularly wrong about them. I just want something more now. After I joined Goodreads and read the reviews posted there, I became even more discerning in selecting my reading materials. I try to avoid books which contain too stupid to live characters, ludicrous plot devices, slut-shaming, abusive relationships portrayed as normal and desirable, bad writing, too many inconsistencies, a boring plot, insta-love and a whole host of other negative things that ruin my reading experience and make me want to gouge out my eyeballs. It makes me want to reread all of my books to see if any of them possess these unfortunate traits. Would I still be able to fully enjoy them despite their glaring flaws? I know that no book is perfect but I want to read quality books that stimulate my mind, strike a chord in my soul and teach me about life. It rankles and scares me to know that some books contain disturbing messages that disguise themselves as harmless or benign. I want to avoid these pitfalls when I write my stories. Dear future readers, when I become a published author, would you be so kind as to review all of my works with brutal, no-holds-barred honesty? I would really appreciate any constructive criticisms that you can offer. Thank you.

P.S. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment