Friday 8 November 2013

The Black Sheep of the Aesir

     For those who are unfamiliar with Norse mythology, the Nordic pantheon of gods is known as the Aesir. The god I'm highlighting in this post is Loki, the god of mischief. After watching Thor, The Avengers and Thor 2, I became fascinated by the character of Loki. He is neither wholly evil nor wholly good. In the movies, his actions are motivated by jealousy, greed and revenge. All these qualities make him seem more human to me. Compared to the righteous and holier-than-thou attitude of Thor, Loki is much more interesting and multilayered. I love his deliciously witty dialogues, especially when he converses with Thor. It helps that the actor is rather dashing and gave a wonderfully nuanced performance as Loki. I read a book about Loki and it showed me a different side to the god of mischief. In the book, he is presented not as an antagonist but as an antihero. He causes trouble but he always finds a way to clean up the mess he made in the end. I can't believe I'm gushing over a fictional character. I just think we should look at things from Loki's point of view before passing judgement on him. Give Loki a chance. He is not evil, just misguided and misunderstood.

P.S. May God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment